Dragging out the microarmour

The prospect of being able to do some micro armour gaming soon, has prompted me to look at my moderns for the first time since the move.. th...

Thursday 25 July 2019

Musings about the importance of terrain

Scenery..we always need more.

Despite being a solo gamer for the most part, I find a large part of the appeal of wargaming is the scenery and terrain.  I don't see any reason why, just because you are gaming for yourself, that you shouldn't have great terrain, in fact as you are doing it for yourself it should always be more important.

I've also discovered that I really enjoy painting and building terrain pieces, with that I want to show off one of my fairly recent projects.  I wanted to build an abandoned SciFi settlement kinda inspired by films like Miyazaki's Castles in the Sky.

I used foamcore for the bases and junk from around my desk and wargaming boxes for most of the details, but the basic buildings are from Brigade miniatures Desert domes miniatures

 http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Desert%20Domes.html

I confess over the last few years, Brigade have been a real go-to company for me, they make some really great minis and I always get tremendous service so I can't recommend them enough

Here is one of the bases with a bit of spray paint, roughly assembled. I wanted a landing pad and the radar thing in the front made from an old aeronef ship tipped up on its side


From the other side while the scatter material and static grass is drying, I've added rust to the landing strip and tried to show staining and overgrowth on the main building

Doorknobs! .. another base with a building and a pair of doorknobs that looked like interesting SciFi machinery of some kind


 The next three pics are groupo shops of the settlement.  I'm glad I put the different pieces on different bases as I think they look good grouped, but also work when they are seperated.

This piece shows an old light fixture that was broken that I've turned into a blown up reactor of some kind (hence the abandonment and destruction)



So that's some of my Sci-Fi scenery, I'm going to have to take this out of the box and try and play a game of solo Future War Commander soon


No comments: