Sunday, August 26, 2007

6mm British Mechanised Infantry Batallion





Well here it is, my first unit for Cold War Commander, a British Mechanised Infantry Battalion (early 80s) sans one Milan stand (which is being replaced, the original one fell between the planks of my deck while being painted!!! grrrrrr!

Monday, August 20, 2007

BMP-1 Company done & other stuff

Well I've done a little more.

I've painted a BMP-1 company, completed a few more T-80s (I think) and have spruced up a BMD-1 (of which I have another 8.. I think the drybrushing improves things a lot so I've done a comparison shot. (I've also made the pics a little smaller)



Friday, August 17, 2007

A few more Soviets




Here are some T-80s with ERA in a more modern scheme (just green gets a bit boring!)
some FROG-7's and a Straight Flush radar vehicle for my SA-6 Battery

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Soviet Air Defences

Well,

I've just completed an SA-8 launcher and a battery of ZSU-23-4's I chickened out on infantry for now.


Here they are:


Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Best so far ... a Mi-8 Hip E

Well,

this little one had been battered and beaten in a box unprotected for years.. so with a little TLC!

Tada!!! Something to worry the British.. I think I have to attempt some infantry next *gulp*



British Challenger Squadron

well,

I had some very old H&R Challengers that I thought I could spruce up with some drybrushing. Here are the results. I've included a few comparison pictures and once again, remember your seeing these far bigger than they actually are, using the 2ft rule they look great to me!


This is how they started


After some light drybrushing to pop out the green




dry brushed some black striping for camoflage


Barrel thermal sleeve and muddy tracks done



Final details added, for extra lunacy I've added some ariels using florists wire held in place with this handy jig :)
I also put a spot of blue on the optics and some simple markings. I've really got to get some 1/300 decals!

Final Product

Monday, August 13, 2007

British Micro Armour test

Well, I thought I'd spruce up a pre-painted (from 10 years ago!) Scimitar and try my hand at an FV432 using only drybrushing over a black undercoat. The Scimitar is ok (I just dry-brushed the highlights a little but I'm REALLY pleased with the FV432, I drybrushed the black camo last and it really looks sprayed (it may not in the photo's mind!!


With Flash




Without Flash (non white balanced.. sorry)



what more posts!! Epic scale Tau

Well,

I'm on a role now, I took the door off the closet in my office and have made a little painting station, I'm going to add many more shelves and tidy up a bit but this is basically it



I thought I'd take some pics of my painted forgeworld Tau, these are beatiful but a nightmare to paint. once again they look better in RL, but bear in mind the crisis suits are mounted on pennies





And I couldn't resist the Manta, the colour scheme is inspired by real Manta rays





I'm crap at blogging but...





Well I haven't updated this in ages, but find myself inspired by some 6mm microarmour sites so I've been rummaging through some of my old mini's. I found some great Soviet stuff (painted badly or not at all) and decided to have a 1/2hr project painting and basing an Mi-2 (Hoplite) light helicopter to do some scouting for my 80s Soviet Armour.

Here is a step by step photo pictorial of the process

As you can see the painting was minimal



I started by adding a brass pin to a GW flight stand to make it a little sturdier, and by making a hole in the body of the Mi-2




I'm realising that the macro feature of my camera makes the mini look awfully badly painted!! it just shows too much.. still you'll have to trust me it looks way better in RL

Here are some pics of the final painting with some light drybrushing







I then went to work on the base, making it a little interesting. I trimmed the top of an n-scale "brush tree" added some ground foam and rocks and bobs your uncle







Finally, I added the Rotor disk. I found that the blades always kept breaking so I started using plastic rotor disks to make it look like the helicopter is in flight.. It needs a clean but you get the idea



Here's the final product. I've been so inspired by some of the great micro-armour I've seen that I thought I should use this blog to showcase some of my stuff.